MUSC Health is the state-wide clinical delivery arm of the Medical University of South Carolina. The health system has >$4B in annual revenue and is comprised of seven regional community hospitals, an academic medical center, a dedicated children’s hospital, an NCI designated cancer center, hundreds of ambulatory clinics, and numerous community hospital affiliations.
Clinical delivery at MUSC Health is built on 17 distinct Integrated Centers of Clinical Excellence [ICCE] which oversee all aspects of patient care across the health system. Leveraging their strategic plan, KCG worked with each ICCE to create an annual operational roadmap that denoted where and how to effectively grow and expand services. MUSC Health leadership agreed that ICCE operational success could only be achieved with hyper-focus on collaboration, transparent communication, and robust project management, and asked KCG to help develop a system-wide, ICCE ‘accountability’ process.
KCG worked with MUSC Health leaders to stand up a robust accountability process, giving executive leadership insight into ICCE operational and clinical efforts while at the same time providing ICCE leaders an opportunity to garner direct feedback to ensure both timely tactical adjustments could be made as well as alignment with the health system’s future vision and priorities. To implement this, KCG and MUSC leaders focused:
- Segmented all ICCE to align with one of three key system level leaders
- Implemented a dyad-reporting structure in the clinically support oriented ICCE [Pharmacy, Lab, Radiology, Genetics, etc.]
- Created a structured database that tracks all operational projects, necessary collaborative relationships, and status progress
- Assigned various KCG team members to each ICCE [and each leader] to serve as designated resources
- Partnered with both community and College of Medicine recruiting teams to create a robust provider recruiting database
- Established an ICCE quarterly accountability report out cadence for each ICCE and members of the MUSC Health leadership team
- Created standard reporting frameworks that clearly indicated project progress, identified issues, and any budgetary requests
- Produced a robust recruiting report that denotes identified backfills, new growth openings, and key hiring risks
- Utilized a formal executive memo that is shared after each meeting to communicate feedback, memorialize key discussion topics, and assign follow up items – all of which are added to the database for future report outs